Tuesday, March 01, 2011

My beads are going to SPACE!!!

I am so thrilled and honored to have been chosen among one of the artists who's work was chosen to join the crew of the Space Shuttle Endeavor on their journey into space on April 17, 2011!!! I couldn't be more excited to have a piece of me travel into space! I'm not sure yet which bead was chosen, but I have a feeling it was one I have a special attatchment to (yes, I get attatched to some and keep them too look at). It will be extra special for me if that is the bead to go into space :)
I feel extremely lucky to have been chosen for this honor. I have seen some of the other beads submitted and I was kind of surprised to see my name along side theirs on that list. My beads were a different style than a lot that I saw - mine were galxies in glass. I've been making these beads for years and I just have so much fun making them and experimenting with different materials to create what I believe deep space looks like. They were inspired by my husband and his love for space - I thought if I made something like that, he would FINALLY wear a bead of mine. It worked ;)
I know I have a picture of the bead somewhere, but since it was an older bead in my collection, I have a few backup discs to go through to find it. When I do, I will share it. People want to see, of course.

This was a contest/fundraiser for a wonderful charity, Beads of Courage (BOC). It is a program in which pediatric cancer patients create necklaces with beads - each one symbolizing a different procedure they have had to endure on their journey fighting cancer. Some of these brave kids have multiple, very long necklaces -- their badges of courage. I'll include links so you can learn about this wonderful charity and how to donate if you would like; either monetarily or in beads. BOC has now expanded to 15,000 patients in 91 hospitals nationwide.
www.beadsofcourage.org
Check out the CBS morning show segment they did on it - on the site!

Anyways, I'll post the pic when I find it, but for now..... I'm a SPACE CADET!!! heheheee

No comments: