Sunday, May 27, 2007

MY WATER FEATURE IS FINALLY IN!!!!





(pics: 1-design trial 2:Epoxyed rocks for edging, 3: reservoir is in, 4: Finished product!)
Well, it's FINALLY in!! After literally about 2 years of planning for and acquiring things for it, my water feature is finally in! I wanted a bubbling pot of some kind - something quiet and simple sounding. I love watching waterfalls and all, but for my garden I wanted that bubbling sound. I searched for 2 years until I found the perfect pot. I loved the design of them - ceramic with a gorgeous blue-ish, teal glaze and they were 50% off - how much more perfect could it be? I didn't even know it was the perfect one for this project until I was staring at it one day wondering how in the heck I was going to fill this really tall, kinda unsturdy pot up with soil - it's 3.5 feet tall - that's a lot of money in dirt! Then the idea hit me - fill it up with water instead! My brother and I messed around with some ideas about the style of the feature, but we never came up with anything solid. I had a design finally settle into my head that I really liked and decided that was the way to go - and it was the easiest way to put it together as well - what a bonus!

I bought a shallow barrel liner & set the pot upside down in the tub (shimmed up with some leftover broken stepping stones to set it straight and allow for water flow to the pump). We added a long length of 1/2" pvc pipe onto the output valve of the pump and threaded it right up through the already provided drainage hole at the bottom of the pot. To cover that up, I 2 part epoxied a boundary layer of stones around the outside of the base. These were taller cobblestones that would provide a "pen" to just lay and stack the other rocks inside of. I built up a small pyramid like base of rocks around the exposed PVC (which I'm planning to sheath with copper just for looks). I plan to add some of my marbles to this pile as I make them for the feature. I will probably end up replacing most of those rocks with glass pieces slowly. Who knows. Either way, I love how it turned out.

Hubby is running underground electricity to it tomorrow, so to test it out, we just have an ugly orange extention cord going to it.

I went outside after my daughter went to bed to listen to it and take some of the pictures - it sounds SO wonderfully soothing at night when everything is quiet. It truly now is a refuge and is already my new favorite part of my garden.
Thanks for coming and checking it out!!
I'm just THRILLED!!!

No comments: